[Savannah-help-public] Problems logging in via ssh

From: David Hill
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] Problems logging in via ssh
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 11:59:45 -0700

Hi people,

I am the administrator for the "gnuspeech" project.  I have had problems logging into the gnu webcvs pages and the repository for quite some time now and have tried various measures including changing my keys (the most recent change being yesterday, May 19 2008) and updating my account keys to correspond.  I have checked there are no line feeds in my registered ssh key and I have made sure 'cvs.sv.gnu.org' (RSA)  has been added correctly  to the list of known hosts .  The entry reads:

--------
cvs.sv.gnu.org ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAIEAzFQovi+67xa+wymRz9u3plx0ntQnELBoNU4SCl3RkwSFZkrZsRTC0fTpOKatQNs1r/BLFoVt21oVFwIXVevGQwB+Lf0Z+5w9qwVAQNu/YUAFHBPTqBze4wYK/gSWqQOLoj7rOhZk0xtAS6USqcfKdzMdRWgeuZ550P6gSzEHfv0=
--------

I believe I have checked the most current documentation carefully, but such a process is notoriously prone to wishful thinking :-(

Whether going directly from the command line, or using MacCvsX I get the same "Permission denied (publickey)" or "Connection refused" errors as in the following copied transactions from the MacCvsX console window and terminal window:

MacCvsX console
-------
cvs -d :ext:address@hidden:/webcvs/gnuspeech checkout -- cvs.sv.gnu.org:/webcvs/gnuspeech (in directory /Users/david/gnuspeech/www/)
Permission denied (publickey).

cvsnt [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****
-----

Terminal window:
-------
[eldorado:~/gnuspeech/www/software] david% cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/webcvs/gnuspeech co gnuspeech
cvs.savannah.gnu.org: Connection refused
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
[eldorado:~/gnuspeech/www/software] david%
--------

the "software" directory contains:

------
[eldorado:~/gnuspeech/www/software] david% ls
CVS             gnuspeech
[eldorado:~/gnuspeech/www/software] david%
------

My ~/.ssh directory contains:

------
[eldorado:~/.ssh] david% ls
config          id_dsa.pub      identity.pub
id_dsa          identity        known_hosts
[eldorado:~/.ssh] david%
------

The ssh dsa keys are in the "id_dsa*" files, not in the "identity*" files.  The config file contains "Protocol 2"

Long experience tells me that the problem is something *I* am doing wrong or missing, but I don't see it, and am therefore checking with you on the off-chance that something has changed, or some kind of block has been placed on my access.  If there are no changes or blocks, and you can spot my error, that would be very helpful too.

I am using the standard Openssh that comes with the Mac, dated February 26 2008, though I believe there was an update to Openssh to deal with a vulnerability as recently as last month.  It has not made it to my machine so far.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help --  I hope I have provided all the information you may need for this.

david
------
David Hill
--------
 The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable. (J.K. Galbraith)
--------