[Savannah-help-public] [sr #106478] After committed to www project's (ww

From: Yavor Doganov
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:09:53 +0000

I think I am beginning to realize why you can post directly but notifications
are not delivered.

When you post to a GNU mailing list (or to me personally, it doesn't matter),
the message is picked by fw-pool-128.gruppocredit.it (your ISP/company's SMTP
server, I guess) and it passes through several hops at yourhostingaccount.com,
rewriting the envelope to something like
<address@hidden>.

I believe this is what the gnu.org server performs the callout verification
for, e.g. the following (simulated) check happens:

telnet mail.yourhostingaccount.com 25
[...]
mail from: <>
250 2.1.0 <> sender ok
rcpt to: <address@hidden>
250 2.1.5 <address@hidden> recipient
ok

So the verification succeeds, and therefore delivery.

By contrast, when you do a commit, cvs.savannah.gnu.org (the CVS server)
constructs the message (with the help of log_accum.pl) with envelope
<address@hidden> (your Savannah account), which is then changed by
savannah.gnu.org to <address@hidden> (the email address you registered at
Savannah), and passed along.  This is the what's being verified then, and the
verification fails with this cryptic error (which is easily reproducible in a
SMTP session, as I've shown in comment #23).

It looks like this error is something specific to this email service
provider.

Such a check by automatically constructed messages like the CVS commit
notifications are always going to fail to deliver to hosts which perform
(again, entirely legitimate) sender callout verification.

1) If you have control over the server configuration of
yourhostingaccount.com, please do the necessary changes so that this
particular check succeeds.  It is a non-standard behavior if it does not, like
now.  (It looks like this is some large hosting company, so I doubt this is
realistic.)

2) Inform their support about this problem, and ask them to solve it (it
seems others have encountered it too, and probably reported it, but it's still
worth trying).

3) Stop using their service.  This might be very inconvenient depending on
how your things are set up.  Anyway, just mentioning it as an option.

In any event, let's wait for the GNU sysadmins.

(Disclaimer: Obviously I'm not an expert, so I might be very wrong in all of
this.)

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106478>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/