[savannah-help-public] generate_log_accum.pl ?? What does it do?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [savannah-help-public] generate_log_accum.pl ?? What does it do?
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 22:58:18 -0700

Savannah Hackers,

I see generate_log_accum.pl using up a lot of I/O and cpu time.  It is
set to run by cron every 20 minutes.  The script header says only:

  Generates all projects CVSROOT/commitinfo and CVSROOT/loginfo.

Of course I know about commitinfo and loginfo.  A better descriptive
above might be "edit" intead of "generate" but that still doesn't say
what it does when it edits those files.  I can't see any editing being
done on those files.  They seem pretty static to me.  Except all of
the files for every project are getting updated every 20 minutes.
That is 2299 projects and files updated every time it runs.

I browsed the script very briefly but the intent was not obvious.
Does anyone already know what this script is doing?

I did a quick analysis and there are 2007 identical commitinfo files
empty except for <savane> tags, 155 identical except for <savane> tags
plus one blank line, 14 identical that are the default CVS upstream
version of the file, and 122 uniquely different commitinfo files.

Thanks,
Bob