Re: [savannah-help-public] Slowness of Savannah in the morning

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Slowness of Savannah in the morning
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 22:16:50 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:
> I added an iotop invocation to vcs:/etc/cron.d/sv, at the same time as
> top, to see if it gets us anything useful.  Also nice-d all the relevant
> cron jobs.

That was a good idea.  But it doesn't seem to be working without a tty
device and generates a python backtrace.  (I really hate python's
proclivity for puking guts all over the place instead of a proper
error message.)

I fiddled with it and changed it to this set of options which seems to
provide some useful details.  Nothing unusual showing up yet though.

  iotop -b -o -n 5

I will also note that vcs is acting really slow right now to my
interactivity.  It is running a load of 11.  But the 7 cpus look
mostly idle.  Every so often one cpus shows some activity, every so
often two show activity, and then everything goes back to idle.

Being on the system now it just seems very slugish.  Doing simple
things like running "cat /var/tmp/iotoplog" for a 1k file takes 20
seconds to complete.

Bob