Re: [savannah-help-public] [Fwd: Re: gnu.org/software/libreboot]

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] [Fwd: Re: gnu.org/software/libreboot]
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 21:31:10 -0600

Ineiev wrote:
> Karl Berry wrote:
> > > Yes, using .htaccess in webcvs repositories is possible.
> >
> > It did not used to be.
>
> In www, .htaccess has been used since 2001.
>
> > I wonder if there are restrictions on what can
> > be in it.  Server-side includes and such should not be allowed.  No
> > energy to look at www-config now, though :(.
>
> It says,
>
> AllowOverride Indexes FileInfo Limit AuthConfig

The general wisdom is never to enable .htaccess files if one has
access to the configuration file directly.  Which we (well the FSF) do
have access to and therefore the .htaccess files are not needed.  Just
have the global file include the necessary configuration.

The reason for that is that enabling .htaccess files is a large
performance hit.  The Apache server must stat(2) files up and down the
directory tree for every transaction looking for and processing the
files.  Therefore I am really surprised that it has been enabled.

Bob

P.S. Catching up on the emails...