Re: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109229] CNAME

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109229] CNAME
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 17:30:33 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:
> http://guga.nongnu.org also works.

I had not known such a thing was possible.  Thanks!

> There is no provision for package administrator's modification of DNS
> (and I don't think there should be).

I was confused by the original poster's request about that.  It didn't
make sense to me.  But I don't think english was the first language
and therefore making the statement difficult to understand.

I don't think he was suggesting adding an A record in the nongnu.org
domain.  I think he wanted to point to it and have it work.

> > I have a domain called guga.io and I'd like to use guga.io as my
> > group guga.nongnu.org.

Certainly a redirection at guga.io could redirect to guga.nongnu.org.
But I don't think using a CNAME will be functional.  AFAIK.  Not
unless the receiving web server is configured to handle that name and
map it to the root.

> > I added a CNAME but redirect to savannah main site. I'd like to
> > add a A in my DNS or CNAME.

I see no CNAME in the current DNS data.  A CNAME is not a redirection.
But perhaps a we browser might treat it that way?  I didn't think it
did.  I did some testing just now and as far as I can determine it
does not.  An A record would definitely not provide any clues.

I will write something to the ticket.

Bob