Re: [savannah-help-public] Fwd: git.sv.gnu.org ssh host key

From: ayleph
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Fwd: git.sv.gnu.org ssh host key
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 21:22:22 -0800

On 02/13/2017 12:23 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Hello ayleph,

Hello, Bob. Thank you for taking time to answer my question in detail.

>> appears that git.sv.gnu.org is now providing an ED25519 host key where
>> it was previously providing an RSA key. Could someone verify whether
>> this is correct, and if so, please update the documentation accordingly?
>
> Rather than type in a lot of repeat information here let me point you
> to a previous discussion of this item.
>

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2017-01/msg00032.html

That email thread completely resolved my issue. It confirms that the new
ED25519 key fingerprint that I suddenly started to receive from
git.sv.gnu.org is indeed legitimate.

I have the following entry from my known_hosts file, and I connected as
recently as January 16th with no warning message.

git.sv.gnu.org,208.118.235.72 ssh-rsa
AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAIEAzFQovi+67xa+wymRz9u3plx0ntQnELBoNU4SCl3RkwSFZkrZsRTC0fTpOKatQNs1r/BLFoVt21oVFwIXVevGQwB+Lf0Z+5w9qwVAQNu/YUAFHBPTqBze4wYK/gSWqQOLoj7rOhZk0xtAS6USqcfKdzMdRWgeuZ550P6gSzEHfv0=

I see that if I attempt to ssh into git.sv.gnu.org and manually specify
the host key algorithm to be ssh-rsa such as `ssh -v git.sv.gnu.org
-oHostKeyAlgorithms=ssh-rsa`, then I receive a message that the RSA host
key matches the one stored in my known_hosts file. My ssh client
configuration file specifies ssh-ed25519 before ssh-rsa, so perhaps this
is why it complains about the key changing even though I have a matching
key in my known_hosts file. I will modify my known_hosts file and accept
the ed25519 key now that I have confirmed it matches the value in the
referenced email thread.

Thanks again,

--
ayleph