[savannah-help-public] Automake branch naming conventions

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: [savannah-help-public] Automake branch naming conventions
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 12:20:07 +0200

Hello,

As explained in this bug report [1] the branch naming convention of
Automake, can be really confusing for contributors.  To fix that, I
would like to change the branch naming convention like this:

   - minor -> master (default)
   - micro -> maint
   - master -> next

Given that the master branch is locked, I can't do that change myself.
As I a consequence I would like the Savannah hackers to proceed with it.

I am fully aware that this might pertube existing contributors that
already have cloned the repository.  However Automake has only a small
number of contributors, so this won't impact a lot of people.  I
strongly believe this change will improve the experience of newcomers.

In case of doubt, this renaming won't result in any suppression of
history.

Thanks.

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13578#199