Re: [savannah-help-public] 502: Fetching FreeType

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] 502: Fetching FreeType
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 15:16:36 -0600

address@hidden wrote:
> Jesus Christ ... I'm sorry to hear that!  All the best with locking them
> out, no worries, take all the time it takes + thanks for the update!

You know how it goes.  It is why we can't have nice things.  :-(

> Just a quick question:  do you think switching to git:// would help (you
> and/or us)?

If you are using http:// now then switching to git:// would seem to be
equivalent.  Should avoid the current brownout problem.  Until and
unless the attackers start hitting the git:// side of things too.  Or
instead of.

(A lot of people consider both http:// and git:// insecure since they
are not encrypted.  But git uses SHA1 hashes through the chain.  I
think it would be very hard to change something in a way that isn't
detected.)

At some point in the future probably only encrypted, authenticated,
authorized protocols might be acceptable.  Anonymity has challenges.
It's a hostile world out there.  (Have you read Lord of the Flies
recently?)

Bob