Re: [savannah-help-public] 502: Fetching FreeType

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] 502: Fetching FreeType
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 15:23:31 -0600

Bob Proulx wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> > Just a quick question:  do you think switching to git:// would help (you
> > and/or us)?
>
> If you are using http:// now then switching to git:// would seem to be
> equivalent.  Should avoid the current brownout problem.  Until and
> unless the attackers start hitting the git:// side of things too.  Or
> instead of.

I should hint here that the paths between the two are just slightly
different.  Changing the protocol also requires a small tweak to the
path.  Remove the leading "/git" part since git:// already assumes
that in the path.  (I trip over that myself quite often.)

  git clone http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/git/freetype/freetype2.git
  git clone https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/git/freetype/freetype2.git

Versus:

  git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/freetype/freetype2.git

Bob