[Savannah-register-public] [task #5755] Submission of micro-sem micro sa

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5755] Submission of micro-sem micro satellite emulator
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 10:45:00 +0200

Sticking to GPLv2-only is troublesome, because your program will be
incompatible with others programs under the GPLv3 (and later).

Sticking to a particular version of the GPL in general also makes your
program vulnerable to any loophole in the license that will appear in the
future, and will make it difficult for people to upgrade the license if they
want to (they'll have to contact each individual copyright holder for this).

For these reasons, we recommend that you chose to license your project under
version 2 or later - and express your concerns at gplv3.fsf.org :)

We cannot recommend people to switch to the next version of the GNU GPL and
at the same time don't care when hosting projects. This is also why we do not
allow GPLv2-only at Savannah, but this is not new. We are also refusing GNU
GPL-incompatible software on Savannah from the beginning.

This has nothing to do with freedom - you're free to move somewhere else, as
you pointed out. Besides, you are also refusing your users the freedom to use
the GNU GPLv3 as well ;)

More info at https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/GnuGplTwoOrLater

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=5755>

  Message sent via/by Savannah