[Savannah-register-public] Re: Fwd: [task #7815] Submission of Chinese A

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Re: Fwd: [task #7815] Submission of Chinese Administrative Division tcl/tk Selector
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 17:51:48 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 02:53:29PM +0200, Alexander Shulgin wrote:
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> This project seems to be OK.
>
> However, the package contains an area code database (in CSV format)
> published by the Chinese government.  I believe such materials are
> generally in the public domain and cannot be copyrighted, so there
> should be no problem including it into a LGPLd library.  Am I right?

Well, I don't know about the Chinese government copyright
policies. The best is probably to ask the submitter for more
information.

It's not clear how it's used in the project. I don't see it called
from the tcl script.

It seems to be data nonetheless, so it's not really included in the
library (at first glance, it could be replaced by any other CSV file,
but maybe I'm wrong). In this case license compatibility is not
involved, because it's data processed by the program, and not part of
the code. Maybe you already know this, I write this for clarity
because you say "including it into a LGPLd library".

> Also, a quick search on *.cn didn't bring me the link to this file on
> the web. Do we need to clarify it's source with the package author?

It would be better, please do :)

--
Sylvain