[Savannah-register-public] [task #10626] Submission of ESPResSo

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10626] Submission of ESPResSo
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 10:28:51 +0000

             Assigned to:                    None => alexfernandez

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hi Olaf,

I am reviewing your submission on behalf of Savannah. There are a few issues
with the project:

* ESPResSo is supposed to be licensed under the GPLv2, but the file
LICENSE.TXT says:
  _4. ESPResSo is intended only to be used for academic research ensuring
proper knowledge about simulation techniques. It is not suited for commercial
or industrial purposes._
  However, the GPL <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> states in section
10:
  _You may not impose any further restrictions on the exercise of the rights
granted or affirmed under this License._
  Both are not incompatible as long as your point 4 is intended as a
recommendation only, not as a restriction on use. It would be good to clear
this point or even make it explicit.

* A related issue: the GPL should be applied following these guidelines
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html>, not with your own license
header. Your additional restrictions can live in the file LICENSE.TXT, but the
GPL header should be on every file.
* Text files (such as the README or doc/dg/pages/build.doc) should also have
the license header somewhere in their body (we recommend at the bottom).
* There is a ton of binary data that goes with the project, such as in the
testsuite/ directory. Also, there are many binary files such as images in
doc/dg/figs/. They should be listed in the README with author and license
information.
* Also a recommendation: source code should probably be in a folder called
src/ so that it does not obscure the contents of the top level directory (and
this would make our job as reviewers easier!). This is not of course
mandatory.

Can you provide an updated tarball which solves these issues? Thanks!

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?10626>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/