Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #13713] Submission of Gnu Slip

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #13713] Submission of Gnu Slip
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 23:41:10 -0400

Hello Arthur,

> On Aug 11, 2015, at 22:20, Arthur Schwarz <address@hidden> wrote:
<...>
> Now my question. I am sending you a tarball in order for you to continue
> validation. Who is responsible to getting this tarball into Savannah? (And
> if me, how do I do it. I know, I know, just read the manual - but there's so
> much manual.)

As you've guessed - it is all up to you now!
There is no need to send any tarball for updates/approval, as the project is
approved and you can add any code you'd like in it (as long, of course, as it
complies with savannah's policies, listed here:
https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php ).

But here are some pointers to get you started:

1. Tips for new maintainers:
http://www.gnu.org/software/maintainer-tips.html
This is a relatively new document, and you're likely one of the firsts to use
it.
If you have comments/questions/suggestions about it, please send them to
address@hidden .

2. Setup SSH key on savannah:
upload your SSH public key to savannah (in your user's account page).
Then you'll be able to push code into savannah.
run this at first, to verify your SSH key works:

     $ ssh address@hidden ls
     You tried to execute: ls
     Sorry, you are not allowed to execute that command.

The above is a *good* response. If you get this:

     Permission denied (publickey).

Then your SSH public key is not working.

3. I'm going to assume you'll be using GIT (but CVS/SVN/HG are conceptually
similar).
In your project's "feature selection" page, enable GIT repositories.
About 30 minutes later, the git repository will be created.
You can then setup the remote repository with:

     git remote add gnu address@hidden:/srv/git/gslip.git

and push with:

     git push --set-upstream gnu master

Please note something CRITICAL:
On GNU Savannah, you *can not* delete code from the master branch of your
repository.
This means that if you've committed something incorrect, the only way to 'fix'
it is
to add another commit overwriting the bad one.
You can not rewind the master branch, or do 'force non-fast-forward commits',
or even delete and restart it from scratch.

If you are not yet comfortable with GIT, I would suggest that you first
experiment with pushing to remote repositories on _another_ hosting server
(which I'll not name here, but I'm sure you can find them...). On most other
hosting services, you can delete/restart/rewind the master branch (or even
delete and re-create the entire repository) which makes experimentation less
problematic.

4. When you're ready to push code to your git repository, don't push
auto-generated files.
For example, do not push 'Makefile' and 'Makefile.in' files - because they are
auto-generated from your 'Makefile.am'. Same goes for 'configure'.
If you're not sure which files to push, take a look at the model project "GNU
Hello":
   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hello.git/tree/
especially take a look at files in its .gitignore file:
   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hello.git/tree/.gitignore
these are files which should not be committed to git.

5. Upload a GPG public key file to Savannah.
You'll need one in order to publish official release tarballs.
More information here:
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Automated-FTP-Uploads.html#Automated-FTP-Uploads

6. Since I've mentioned the "GNU maintainers guide":
It's long, but worth the read - so read it :)
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/

7. while you're spending time reading, read sections 6 and 7 of the "GNU Coding
Standards":
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html
They provide details about documentation and the release process.
The other sections are also informative...

8. Any GNU Savannah questions or technical problems with your project's
administration - send them here: address@hidden or open a support ticket here:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=additem&group=administration

9. Any GNU-related question can go to address@hidden .
(see https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Getting-Help.html).

10. The (private) email you've received earlier about the announcement of GNU
Slip contains more items that are important to new maintainers (it was a long
email, but important to read).

And last but not least, a shameless plug:
If you have some time to spare and you want to help with GNU Savannah,
please see here for many exciting opportunities:
  http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToBecomeASavannahHacker/

Hope this helps.

regards,
 - assaf