[Savannah-register-public] [task #14414] Submission of GNUstep Non-FSF

From: Pavel Kharitonov
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14414] Submission of GNUstep Non-FSF
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 01:55:10 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #10, task #14414 (project administration):

> I went through all copyright notices of all source files, they had the same
issues as the Readme file. I amended that.
> Furthermore, the copyright and license attribution of the icon was wrong. I
fixed that.

Thank you!

The copyright notice in GNUMail.xpm ("Copyright (C) 2000") is still invalid,
please check
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html

Also, the second line in README doesn't form a valid copyright notice, it
lacks the "Copyright (C)" part.

If you distribute some files under the LGPL, you should include a copy of that
license in your tarball; you don't (please note that you may redistribute
LGPLed works under the ordinary GPL, but then you should update the license
notice in those files).

> However, let's be reasonable: inserting a copyright and license statement in
a ChangeLog file is absurd, I have never seen that

(_Warning: that some of these pages are about 1Mbyte long_)
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/ChangeLog.1
https://bitbucket.org/skypher/fdisk/src/94911b8cfd93cf8226584135fb9d753ab7582ded/ChangeLog?at=default
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bison.git/tree/ChangeLog-2012
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=ChangeLog;h=e555d07f67840cdd1ec6dcdba2bbf708daeb883c;hb=HEAD
https://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gnupg.git;a=blob;f=ChangeLog-2011;h=01601fa61cb496ce343dd45848e20e590702d944;hb=HEAD

I don't see why it is absurd.  The texts of changelogs are copyrightable, and
if I redistribute copyrightable texts without explicit permission, I
technically violate copyright; if I technically violate copyright, under some
regimes I can end up in jail.

Do you want your users to be imprisoned?

> and the file needs to be essentially machine-creatable from the SVN commits.
It holds no further information and is not a support file to the project.

Then you can just omit it.  If some tools require a file named ChangeLog, you
can add a non-copyrightable stub directing to VCS.

Now. All files should have valid copyright and license notices
<https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/ValidNotices/>.  Files like
Bundles/Clock/ClockController.h don't.

I wonder if you attached a wrong file.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14414>