[Savannah-register-public] [task #15078] Submission of Speech Dispatcher

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #15078] Submission of Speech Dispatcher
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 17:21:51 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #37, task #15078 (project administration):

> src/tests/spd_cancel_long_message.c says it's GPLv2-only. Please check other
files as well and contact their copyright holders.

Ah, indeed:

./src/tests/spd_cancel_long_message.c and
./src/tests/spd_set_notifications_all.c are GPLv2-only. They are however
stand-alone programs which only link against src/api/c/, which is
LGPLv2.1-or-later, so AIUI it won't pose problem?

./src/api/guile/gssip.h is LGPLv2.1-only, it is linked with gssip.c which is
LGPLv2.1-or-later, gssip.scm.in, which is GPLv2-or-later, and src/api/c/
which is LGPLv2.1-or-later, again AIUI it won't pose problem?

./src/clients/spdsend/spdsend.h is GPLv2-only, it is linked with other files
in the same directory which are GPLv2-or-later, again AIUI it won't pose
problem?

Or course, "-and-later" would be better for the long run, I'll contact the
authors, but AIUI it doesn't actually pose problem?

It however goes better with telling the user about these, I have added notices
in README.md.

> Some files like doc/texinfo.tex are under the GPLv3+; you should provide a
copy of the GPLv3 in your tarball.

These files are again generated by autotools, but sure, another COPYING file
can't hurt.

> I'd recommend replacing them all with the URL.

Right, much better for the long run :)

I have uploaded an updated package on
http://dept-info.labri.fr/~thibault/tmp/speechd.tgz

> > Well, there is a difference between "any cost" and "not bothering
maintainers with code they do not actually maintain".

> I believe maintainers have to bother themselves with all code in their
tarballs; if they don't, they may end up distributing proprietary software and
even having their users sued for illegally distributing proprietary software.

I agree in general. But we are here talking about autotools and gettext,
maintained within the GNU project. One can't blame maintainers for assuming
that those packages are doing a proper job.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?15078>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/