Re: [Savannah-users] wrong MIME type for signatures

From: list
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] wrong MIME type for signatures
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 17:04:53 +0200

Am Friday, dem 05. Oct 2007 schrieb Sylvain Beucler:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 04:38:19PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > there seems to be a problem with the server configuration.
> > Signature files with the file extension .sig are sent out with the
> > wrong MIME type (download area).
> >
> > The MIME type should be "application/pgp-signature". Some time ago it
> > was correct, but now it's broken.
>
> We didn't change the configuration, but apparently that's done at
> http://ftp.gnu.org/ (which also offers a mirror of cvs releases) - but
> that's different than dl.sv.gnu.org.
>
> > To fix the problem please check the file /etc/mime-types on the server
> > or add the following line to the configuration file:
> > AddType application/pgp-signature .sig
>
> I checked mime.types from several distros (Gentoo, Debian, Fedora) and
> I see no mime type associated with the .sig extension. So by default
> most servers do not associate this content-type with .sig's.
>
> But I guess that doesn't hurt.

Well, while it doesn't "hurt" much to send files with a wrong mime-type.
But browsers can be configured to handle some mime-types specifically, so it
is generally a good thing to send files with the correct mime-type.
And at least on debian the type /application/pgp-signature is known to
the browsers.

Well it's actually not /etc/mime.types, but apache has it's own mime-types
file, which has to be modified.
Didn't you update your apache not long ago?

--
AKFoerster