Re: [Savannah-users] wrong MIME type for signatures

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] wrong MIME type for signatures
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 17:51:40 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 05:04:53PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Am Friday, dem 05. Oct 2007 schrieb Sylvain Beucler:
> > On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 04:38:19PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > there seems to be a problem with the server configuration.
> > > Signature files with the file extension .sig are sent out with the
> > > wrong MIME type (download area).
> > >
> > > The MIME type should be "application/pgp-signature". Some time ago it
> > > was correct, but now it's broken.
> >
> > We didn't change the configuration, but apparently that's done at
> > http://ftp.gnu.org/ (which also offers a mirror of cvs releases) - but
> > that's different than dl.sv.gnu.org.
> >
> > > To fix the problem please check the file /etc/mime-types on the server
> > > or add the following line to the configuration file:
> > > AddType application/pgp-signature .sig
> >
> > I checked mime.types from several distros (Gentoo, Debian, Fedora) and
> > I see no mime type associated with the .sig extension. So by default
> > most servers do not associate this content-type with .sig's.
> >
> > But I guess that doesn't hurt.
>
> Well, while it doesn't "hurt" much to send files with a wrong mime-type.
> But browsers can be configured to handle some mime-types specifically, so it
> is generally a good thing to send files with the correct mime-type.

I said it didn't hurt to add that content-type for .sig.
(and I did that)

> And at least on debian the type /application/pgp-signature is known to
> the browsers.

Yeah, I was talking about the association of that content-type with
file extensions such as '.sig' that are not in /etc/mime-types nor in
Apache configurations by default.

> Well it's actually not /etc/mime.types, but apache has it's own mime-types
> file, which has to be modified.
> Didn't you update your apache not long ago?

Apache does use /etc/mime.types ("TypesConfig /etc/mime.types") :)

We upgraded Apache last May I think, but I don't see references to
'.sig' in the previous version (nor in a Sarge's mime.types). Earlier
it was served by another Apache instance but I see nothing there
either. Maybe somebody added .sig in the /etc/mime.types which would
then be overwritten during an upgrade, but I don't remember somebody
doing so.

--
Sylvain