Re: [Savannah-users] Download hosting, and SVN webpages

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Download hosting, and SVN webpages
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 20:43:53 +0100

Hi,

> I've noticed that my nongnu.org project redirects the download area
> to a URL on a variety of mirrors, often very-clever.com.
>
> How are these mirrors chosen,

Using GeoIP - aka an IP->country database, refreshed monthly.

Also if the server didn't replicate after 1 day, it's removed from the
redirect list.

https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=5574

> and why are you using them?

Well, to reduce the Savannah bandwidth and direct people to mirrors
that are nearer them.

> I ask partly as very-clever.com appears to be some not-great spam
> site, and I'm not sure I'm that comfortable having the official
> downloads for my project hosted there.

No vague claims please.

http://www.very-clever.com/download/nongnu/ looks pretty clean and our
contact there offers the mirroring and bandwidth with no counterparts.
I don't see a reason to complain, but maybe you can precise what is
annoying you.

> A completely different question: are you planning to allow / enforce
> svn to control the project webpages any time soon? Looks like gna do
> now...

This isn't planned right now.

--
Sylvain