Re: [Savannah-users] questions on restoring backups (CVS, project GNUmed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] questions on restoring backups (CVS, project GNUmed)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 17:31:58 +0200

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 02:19:45PM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

project: gnumed
versioning: CVS

> So I was wondering whether we can get access to the gnumed
> part of the raw backup of the CVS root so I can hopefully
> apply this procedure to the CVS metadata as well. Then we
> could decide whether the May backup seems corrupted to us...

I've gone through the April and May backups as well as the
local uptodate copy.

I have been able to whittle down the losses to just a few
files which fall in three categories:

- files which already existed in April and are unchanged

        They lack 2 tags which were applied in May, however.

        Can anyone tell whether it is safe to forward-copy those
        from April to May and manually insert the tag information ?

        Or would the suggested approach be to activate the
        incomplete backup and re-import and re-tag those under
        the branch they were tagged in ?

- files which were added in May but haven't had a tag
  applied to them yet

        It should be safe to re-import those into CVS HEAD as
        if they were new files (yes, this will loose previous
        commit history, but oh well).

- files which already existed in April and were
  changed and tagged since then

        For those it is a bit more difficult. While it is
        possible to create a diff against the latest
        version they also need some tags re-applied.
        What's more - they may need different patches
        under CVS HEAD and the branch the tags were
        applied to :-(

        Can anyone advise here ?

        Probably it is best to also re-import and re-tag
        those under their respective branches ...

Luckily, a local copy of the branch with the missing tags is
avalaible, so a re-import seems possible, even if that looses
commit history.

Any suggestions ?

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346