[Savannah-users] Many repos for one project; integration of non-GNU proj

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: [Savannah-users] Many repos for one project; integration of non-GNU project
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 23:53:22 -0600

GNU Octave's sister project of user-contributed functions
Octave-Forge[1] needs tighter integration with Octave.

The way it's arranged right now is a bunch of semi-independent
separate packages with occasional dependencies between them. They are
written in several styles, and although almost all of them are free,
they don't usually follow GNU coding standards.

Regardless, it's rather awkward to end users, because they don't
clearly see the separation between Octave and Octave-Forge, mostly
because Matlab, whose escaped refugees constitute a large part of the
Octave userbase, doesn't often make a clear distinction to end users
betweeen core and toolbox functions. It would be most convenient users
if the same tools that they can use to report bugs to Octave and
develop Octave could be used for Octave-Forge.

The problem is that we really need a separate repo per Octave-Forge
project. Since Octave itself is using hg, it makes sense to me to
create one hg repo per Octave-Forge package and to host it all in
nongnu, but it doesn't make sense to me to create a separate project
per Octave-Forge package. Can Savannah currently handle this setup?

Can you suggest some ways to accomplish this?

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.