Re: [Savannah-users] Git advice sought.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Git advice sought.
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 22:08:50 +0900

Kaz Kylheku <address@hidden> writes:
> The author of CGIT informs me that CGIT just pulls out tarballs
> using git-archive, which only operates on what is in the tree.
> Submodules will come out empty.
>
> This is completely stupid; it means that users who don't want to
> (and should not) know anything about git cannot pull out a
> convenient snapshot of your code that will just unpack and build.

I don't think that's completely fair.  As with most such issues, there
are probably use-cases for either behavior, and the default can only
be one of them.

That said, it of course would be nice if git-archive had an option to
recursive into submodules; maybe it should even be on by default (but
I dunno).  [Even if it isn't a default, CGIT or whatever could just
use that option.]

-Miles

--
Non-combatant, n. A dead Quaker.