Re: [Savannah-users] Mailing list discarding random messages

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 13:38:51 -0600

Marin Rameša wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> >   /var/log/mailman/post:May 24 00:10:53 2013 (22522) post to
> > www-hr-lista from address@hidden, size=3227,
> > message-id=<address@hidden>,
> > success
>
> Thanks for your time and for looking through the post log.

Sure!  Happy to help.  I wish I had time to do more.  There is much
work to do here on Savannah and in Real Life and in the overlap
between the two.

> > > So, "lista" is Croatian for "list" and www-hr is the name of the
> > > translation project - www-hr-lista is, I think, a logical name given
> > > to the list created for the translation purposes.
> >
> > Thanks for educating me.
>
> I apologize. I did not mean it to sound that way. I misunderstood and
> was trying to explain the logical origin of the name.

I think we are misunderstanding each other and the fault is mine.
Sorry.  We depend upon language for so very much but can any of us
claim to be its master?  I was sincere that I was looking for
information.  You provided me with that information.  That was good!
Thank you.

I think my words implied a tone to you that I did not intend.  It is
so hard to say things simply, unambiguously, and yet be friendly.  I
intended to say exactly that I am ignorant of many things outside my
home language.  This is an accident of birth and not one of intent or
malice.  I welcomed your knowledge.  I asked and you provided.  That
was all good and I think both of us were trying to be helpful.

Using the phrase "Thanks for educating me." or "Thank you for teaching
me." or other variations is something I often say when I am learning
something and wish to provide a positive acknowledgement.  I see now
that the resulting emotion probably depends upon how that is read by
the reader.  I intended it as a happy sentence.  Life is good!  But I
fear that I may be miscommunicating that intent.  I would hate to
continue to do so in the future.  Perhaps I have made it too terse and
should simply say enough that the happy tone is more clear?  (Yet many
people tell me that I usually say much too much.  And so I am always
in a battle between too much and too little.)

Did I miscommunicate?  For the purpose of continued process
improvement, in this case process is my communications, would you be so
kind as to make a suggestion of what I might say so as to communicate
a happy positive acknowledge for an answer where I learn something?

Thanks!
Bob