Re: [Savannah-users] Git error: pack-objects died of signal 13

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Git error: pack-objects died of signal 13
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 23:19:30 -0700

Hello Luis,

Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
> I'm getting this error when I try to push my local changes to the remote
> server:
>
> $ git push
> Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (5/5), done.
> fatal: read error: Conexión reinicializada por la máquina remota (Connection
> restarted by the remote machine)
> error: pack-objects died of signal 13
> error: failed to push some refs to
> 'git://git.savannah.gnu.org/guix/guix-artwork.git'
   ^^^^ anonymous read-only git:// protocol access

You are trying to push to the anonymous read-only git:// protocol
path.  To push you need to use the authenticated ssh access.

  ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/guix/guix-artwork.git

[[Note that with ssh the internal path "/srv/git" needs to be in the
URL where as the git protocol has that wired in already and so doesn't
have it.  That is a normal difference between the two right-hand-side
parts of the path.]]

You can convert your repository from git:// to ssh:// easily.
Instructions are documented here:

  http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit/

Scroll down to the "Fixing checkout from git:// to ssh://" section.
This happens often enough that converting from one to the other is a
well worn path. :-)

    If by mistake a developer has checked out a repository using the
    public anonymous read-only git:// url this can be changed to the
    authenticated ssh:// url using git remote set-url:

      git remote set-url origin ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/project.git

That should fix you up and then you should be able to push.

> Looking for the error on the Web, people say it may be related to file size
> limits.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/11981675/push-fails-with-error-pack-objects-died-of-signal-13

In that example they show "address@hidden:name/example.git" so we
can tell they are using the ssh protocol.  Which eliminates the
read-only git:// thing from the possibilities.

> The new file (designs/packages.svg) is around 265 KiB, mockup-techie.svg is
> 3.2 MiB, and the other one is 2.0 MiB.
>
> What is the size limit for git repositories, and per file? How could I solve
> this problem? I'm using git version 2.1.4.

Actually I am not sure how large of a commit is possible.  I hope not
to find out!  :-) Because we will run out of disk space first as the
file system space is starting to become strained.

Bob