Re: Can a program create a new window ?

From: Buddy Burden
Subject: Re: Can a program create a new window ?
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 13:10:12 -0500

Nicolas,

Using screen
it is possible to have many virtual windows in a term, but as far as I
know, creating a new window is only possible using a key binding
(like C-a c). Is there a way that a program running in a screen can
create a new window, and display something inside ?

Sure.  If you type, say,

        screen fred

while you're already inside screen, that creates a new window running the command "fred". For instance, I do this all the time (mostly from in my .screenrc, but it works at the command line too):

        screen -t top top

which not only a) makes a new window, and b) runs top in that new windows, but also c)
names the new window "top".

HTH.

                -- Buddy