Screwed up term outputs control chars literally

From: Andrew Pantyukhin
Subject: Screwed up term outputs control chars literally
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:57:55 +0300

I'm not sure if it's screen related or not, but
those few times I encountered this were all in
my screen sessions. This happens both in xterm
and in rxvt.

Sometimes I manage to screw up my term somehow
(through wrong Ctrl-key combinations I think),
and it starts translating control chars into
printable forms. I press Ctrl-C it outputs ^C
and so on. Even the enter key stops working
properly. Screen's own keys are still working,
other windows work great.

I'm sure some of you have seen it. Can someone
enlighten me a bit?

Thanks!