Detached screens disappear - help debugging?

From: Leinartas, Michael
Subject: Detached screens disappear - help debugging?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:36:18 -0600

I've had a problem with screen on my home computer for quite some time that's been driving me crazy.  After detaching, my screen session will disappear some time after.  Sometimes an hour later it's there, sometimes it's not.  It's nearly always gone if I leave it overnight.  I never have any problems if I'm attached - if I say, leave a screen session on the console open for 3 days, it'll be fine. It also doesn't seem to matter how many terminals are in the session or whether they're idle at a prompt or running something.

So where can I start figuring out what's causing these sessions to die?  It doesn't  seem to be anything obvious like an oom killer (nothing in dmesg).  I've checked the system crons in /etc/cron.* and it doesn't look like there's anything wiping stuff in /var/run or anything.

Some system details incase it matters to anyone:
Screen 4.0.3
Debian squeeze (same problem when I was on lenny) amd64 arch
linux-2.6.32 (vanilla)
AMD quad core (Phenom II)
4gb ram

I'd appreciate any help on this because it's driving me nuts.

michael