Re: open fifo xxx: No such device or address

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: open fifo xxx: No such device or address
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 13:31:57 -0400

AM> Every time I try to start screen, I receive the error
AM> "open fifo /home/alvaro/.screen/698.pts-1.slackberry: No such device or
AM> address"

What does:

    :; mount | grep ' / '

report?

It is possible that it is mounted with something like nodev.

Does the /home/alvaro/.screen directory exist?

To avoid the issue entirely, you could mount a tmpfs or ramfs at
${HOME}/.screen to keep the fifo local.  As a side benefit you won't
have any stale fifos to clean up after any crashes. :-/

Or specify a different home for screen files, under a local filesystem.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6