self-platform-dev

[Self-platform-dev] Re: private resource pool?

From: Nagarjuna G.
Subject: [Self-platform-dev] Re: private resource pool?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:30:03 +0530

On Jan 24, 2008 1:29 AM, niyam bhushan <address@hidden> wrote:
> dear nagarjun,
>
> a user can 'import selected file' into SELF from the resource pool.
> he can also 'delete' the file from the resource pool.
>
> should we allow a user to 'unpublish' or 'make private / make public'
> selected files from 'my resource pool'?
>
> example: suppose a teacher uploads a new course
> or an answer to a quiz
> but does not yet want to publish it.
> there are various other possible scenarios for this.
>
> if you wish to do this,
> then also consider the impact on other courses that use that resource.
> do you wish to bring that kind of 'knowledge-bullying' into the system?
>
> would you then also like to dove-tail it with the feature:
> 'make public on ddmmyyy. expire/unpublish on ddmmyyyy.

yes.  we need to add an action called notify, expire on, public/private on etc.
I will add the schema changes and inform the developers accordingly. done.

notify me can also be called subscribe.  when an object is subscribed,
whenever something is done to that object, the subscribed user will
get a notification.

we should take this discussion to the address@hidden
so taking the liberty to post this there.

> i would also like to introduce a 'notify me' feature.
> so the system will 'notify me' for the following options:
> when made-public, when expired, when used by any other course,
>
> the notification could be an email [i suppose]
>
> *
>
> the interesting thing is a user can search all resource pool because by
> default
> everyone's uploaded files are 'in public' in the common resource pool.
> should people have the option of making a file private?
> the engine would then not be able to search or use such files,
> and would have to purge all courses of its use.

we can do that.  However, people may use this as a repository to store
their private documents as well, by uploading and setting the document
to private.

Nagarjuna