self-platform-dev

[Self-platform-dev] Notes and questions

From: matiasb
Subject: [Self-platform-dev] Notes and questions
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 13:42:41 -0200 (ARST)

Hi,
I have been looking some code and doing some testing. Here I leave some
comments and questions I took.
Best,
Matías.

The GNOWSYSArchetypes installation creates the structure of a knowledge
base (and a localFS in kb/data (inst/var/GContent/selftest/kb/data),
besides the localFS created by the selfApp in Data
(inst/var/GB/selftest/)), but in the ZODB, through the methods provided by
gnowsys and based in the initialization done in the gnowsys instance
creation. That would be done by the selfApp and the gnowsys-pg? For using
the self-platform skin there are some scripts and templates from
GNOWSYSArchetypes required and that should be adapted. Am I right? The
idea is to leave GNOWSYSArchetypes out or have a gnowsys-pg version? Some
of the scripts and templates should be rewritten and the self-platform
skin integrated in the selfApp product? The idea is to have just the
selfApp product?

I wanted to recreate that same structure in the postgres db through the
gnowQL object, but I had some difficulties with the required dictionary
fields and its types. The interface of the manageAddXXX are slightly
different from the original gnowsys one. And it seems the objects should
be created in some order. I finally got to create a usertype, that was
added into the db, and a file was added to the filesystem
(inst/var/GB/selftest/gbusertypes). Would there be an initialization
similar to the one done by GNOWSYSArchetypes but using the gnowQL? Is it
supposed that modifications to this object should be managed as branches?
Is there something coded on versioning? Which methods are used to edit
these objects?
I think the idea would be to manage all the content creation and the
knowledge base through gnowQL, right?

On the other hand, ising the interface I had some problems with the
scripts for managing courses. They ask for the AUTHENTICATION_PATH
variable in the request, that in my case was empty. And with that info
they form an url, but it fails when AUTHENTICATION_PATH = '', given
'/Members/xxx'; I changed it locally to return '{portal_url}/Members/xxx'
and it worked (for example in add_courseCategory.py). I also wanted to
share lessons between courses, is that possible?