self-platform-dev

Re: [Self-platform-dev] platform-updates(version control)

From: Ms. Meena Kharatmal
Subject: Re: [Self-platform-dev] platform-updates(version control)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:49:04 +0530 (IST)

Hi all,

I have checked for some versioning for a course on Cell Biology (as
usual):

I created four versions of content nucleus which can be seen at :

http://cselfish.selfplatform.eu:8081/selfplatform/versions_tree_content?ssid=1015&cssid=1012

I have following comments:

  1: the left pane should get refreshed automatically once a course is saved or
  published (as of now one needs to manually click for a refresh).

  2: we start from a root (0.0) version and there are two possibilites
  --- save and publish. The saved versions leads to branching and the
  published versions also leads to branching. Here I suggest that once
  a course is published (1.0 or 2.0) then it can be shown below the
  root verion. I mean to say all the published versions (0.0 , 1.0 ,
  2.0 , 3.0) should be seen one below the other at root
  levels. However, the saved versions of the branches (0.1, 1.1, 1.2)
  can be shown within their respective versions.

  The following is a diagrammatic represenation of what I mean:

     v0.0
        v0.1
     v1.0
        v1.1
        v1.2
     v2.0
     v3.0
        v3.1
     v4.0

  But important point here to remember is suppose if v3.0 is published
  after editing on the  v1.2 then we need to also show v3.0 has history
  of v1.2 .

  3: When one is busy doing editing in the right pane, it should show
  us which version we are actually editing. I mean we can denote "You
  are editing version 1.1) on top right corner in light gray just
  below the Author:authorname or jus next to the title of the course
  that is being edited.

  4: On the left side pane the version history as of now just shows
  the version number:author. However, it would be very useful if title
  is also added for instance it can show as version number: title :
  authorname.

  5: It is very important for an author to know what content is being
  edited by any other author. We need to show the
  corrections/deletions/additions/typos etc. in the history of each
  author's versions. I think this is part of the 'compare changes' and
  also can be useful for rating an user.

So much for now. May be more later. Any comments on this.

Thankyou.

Meena.