Re: [Simulavr-devel] External memory for ATmega128?

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] External memory for ATmega128?
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:37:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Andrew Sterian wrote:

> I'm a bit new to SimulAVR and AVR's in general so please forgive me
> if this is a FAQ. I did look through the archives a bit and didn't
> find anything, so....

There's no FAQ to speak of at this time.

> Is there any official external RAM support in SimulAVR? I'm trying
> to work with an ATmega128 with 64K of external RAM.

External ram is not supported yet.

> I did manage to get this work (kind of) by changing the DevSuppDefn record in
> devsupp.c to have 64*1024 bytes of SRAM instead of 4*1024.  It seems to
> work...except GDB+SimulAVR --gdbserver mysteriously crashes (something about
> incomplete reads at gdbserver.c line 135).

Can you send me a dump of the output? I wouldn't expect the sim to crash and
if it is, I'd like to figure out why.

> This is with the latest simulavr-0.1.1.20030813. I'm wondering if
> my quick hack is a good idea or not (perhaps I broke something
> somewhere I didn't expect?)

I'm not sure if that will work, but it might. Can you send me a patch with
the changes you made? I'd like to give it a try and see what is going on.

It would also help if you could send me a simple program which demonstrates
the problem you are having.

Ted Roth