Re: [Simulavr-devel] Re: Simulavr / clock

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Re: Simulavr / clock
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:53:06 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Keith Gudger wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
>

> > > I'm going to look into the "named registers" which get returned with an
> > > "info all-registers".  Could I put the cpu clock into some such register
> > > so that gdb can find it and print it with "p $r21" style?
> >
> > I'm not sure that this should go into gdb. When you are running gdb
> > using avarice/jtagice as a back end, there is no way that I know of to
> > get clock information. Also, gdb with avarice is slow enough as it is
> > and something like this could slow it down even more.
> >

> Ted:
>
> What I meant was adding a "cpu_clock" register to simulavr.  I thought the
> definitions of the registers were in simulavr, not gdb, so if I'm wrong, I
> won't bother.  Thanks anyway.

Maybe I'm confused...

There are two register sets in gdb. The r0-r31+SP+SREG+PC+FP set and the
IO register set. The "p $r21" type command will only work with the first
set. The IO set is something I hacked in to pass IO register names up to
GDB.

The first set is what I thought you were talking about in my previous
email. Looks like you were really talking about the second set.

You may be able to add something to simulavr that would allow getting
the clock via something like this:

  (gdb) info clock

That would require a hack to avr-tdep.c in gdb though.

Ted Roth