Re: [Simulavr-devel] connecting pins

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] connecting pins
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 11:15:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Klaus Rudolph wrote:

> Michael Hennebry schrieb:
> > One of the custom hardware devices I have in mind
> > is an LED display multiplexed by cooperating AVRs.
> > I think that I will have to write that myself,
> > but I don't know even what to put in a header
> > file or to what to feed said header file.
> >
> LED Display? You mean a multiplexed 7 segment 4 digit thing for example?

In the smallest useful case, 8 x 6, 16 each of red, green and blue.
The "6" will be something other than 6 pins straight from the processor.
I think a multiplexer will be involved.
Another desired case will be 8 x 8 x 6.
It will involve 9 cooperating processors.

> You can "draw" such things without any c/cpp code also in tcl/tk. There
> are already elements which show the state of a net. So you can simply
> start with the code. If you have the led in rows/cols, you simple have
> to compare that p1 is high and p2 is low and change the color of the
> drawing to red from gray or something. That are the things tk is made
> for :-)

I've never written anything in tcl.  I don't know the language yet.
I haven't even been able to find TFM.
If I find it, I'll still need to know how to connect tcl to simulavrxx.
Also, I'm not so much interested in producing a pretty picture
as I am in debugging the code that produces that picture,
e.g. figuring out what causes that occasional flash
of red in an animation that is entirely blue and green.
Single-stepping won't cut it.
I might need to simulate several cpu-seconds
(9,600+ changes per seccond) before the simulated
hardware detects the error and hollers stop.

Also, can I make Net or other connections
to the general purpose registers?
It could be a big help in debugging some of my message-passing code.
I'd only want to read those.

--
Michael   address@hidden
"Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised)