Re: [Simulavr-devel] patch #6776: No segfault on access to notimplemente

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] patch #6776: No segfault on access to notimplemented I/O registers
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:38:08 -0500

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As Weddington, Eric wrote:

This seems like an error condition the user
would care about.  Shouldn't there also be
a message on stderr?

Seems reasonable to me, as doing that (accessing a non-existent
address or IO location) would be an error condition in the simulated
program. The user should be notified in an unambiguous way.

OTOH, I think there's also a point for having an option where the
simulator behaves as best as possible like real silicon, i.e. unknown
opcodes are executed as a NOP rather than triggering an exception, and
access to unknown storage yields unpredictable results.

OK.  I wasn't planning on halting simulation only
printing a message.
Are you proposing another command line option to
silence these warnings?  Or make it contingent on verbose?

FWIW random is relative in the simulator -- writes
are silently eaten and all reads return 0.  Real
hardware might actually be more random given the variety
of CPU models. :)

--joel