Re: [Simulavr-devel] patch #6776: No segfault on access to notimplemente

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] patch #6776: No segfault on access to notimplemented I/O registers
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:13:00 -0500

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As Joel Sherrill wrote:

OK.  I wasn't planning on halting simulation only
printing a message.

Are you proposing another command line option to
silence these warnings?

Yes, something like that.
For now, I tied it to global_verbose (-V).  There is another
nit I didn't know if we wanted to address.  The RWReserved
class doesn't know its own address.  So I would have to add
a member variable and add a parameter to every constructor
if we wanted it to have the address in the diagnostics.
FWIW random is relative in the simulator -- writes
are silently eaten and all reads return 0.  Real
hardware might actually be more random given the variety
of CPU models. :)

Real hardware usually isn't really random either, it's just
unpredictable.  In most cases, accessing unimplemented IO registers
will read as 0, and writes are ignored, but there could as well be
hidden IO registers that are used during manufacturing tests, or for
hardware debugging.

:)

address@hidden        On-Line Applications Research
  Support Available             (256) 722-9985