Re: [Simulavr-devel] Finding the installed Tcl headers, and other proble

From: Colin Coombs
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Finding the installed Tcl headers, and other problems
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:05:26 +0100

On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 07:19 -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Is tclConfig.sh anywhere in that package?  It would be better to
> find that via autoconf and use it.

Sorry, I should have said I use the command:

        ./configure --with-tclconfig=/opt/ActiveTcl/lib

I am trying to do everything 'by the book' here. I have a standard Tcl
installation including the tclConfig.sh file in its proper place.

The configure process does now find the Tcl headers and everything, and
you can even see the correct definition

        TCL_INCLUDE = -I/opt/ActiveTcl/include/tcl8.5

in the generated Makefile, but this does not get *used* in the
compilation of simulavr_wrap.cxx where it is needed.

Your Makefile.am has a rule

        simulavr_wrap.o: simulavr_wrap.cxx
                $(CXX) -I$(SRCDIR) -I$(TCL_INCLUDE) -c $<

which is not used, because automake uses libtool, which wants the file

        simulavr_wrap.lo

to put in its library.

My patch gives you the command which is needed to generate the '.lo'
file instead of the '.o' file.

I am no expert on autoconf & co, so there may be a cleaner way to add
extra '-I' options for a single compilation using libtool, but I don't
know what it is.