Re: [Simulavr-devel] UI ChangeValue Question

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] UI ChangeValue Question
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:41:40 -0500

Knut Schwichtenberg wrote:
Hi,

Joel Sherrill wrote:
Overnight, it occurred to me that I must not
understand something key in the dispatching
of incoming commands on the GUI/Feedback side
of the UI interface.
Yes and no, GUI no, "special window" yes! In the "checkdebug.tcl" you name each
instance and wire a CPU-pin with an instance.

That matches my understanding.  You name them when you create
them, then the IO goes to the "special window" and is not easy
to see the source unless there is only one of the class instances.
If you have both UARTs interacting with the UI,
then the UI commands end up in the same SerialRX
Tcl class.  There is no way currently to distinguish
which data came from which UART.
Should the SerialRX interface have a way to get the
name that was set in the constructor?
I thought a SerialRx called from creates an instance named with the second
parameter of the TCL call.

It does but I don't see a "getName" call.  I think that is a missing
method in SerialRX anyway.  I will double check that name isn't
public.
Does a similar problem exist on other interfaces?
Each Pin I think... ;-)

I am  wondering if it made sense to add a name parameter to
the "set" call from simulavrxx -> "special window".  It would prevent
having to call back and ask the name.

But if you can ask the object's name, it probably is OK.  Then the
"special window" can be setup as a two level dispatcher -- once to
get to a class and another to get to instance.
Knut
--joel