Re: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: how to proceed withthedeveloment on GIT

From: Onno Kortmann
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: how to proceed withthedeveloment on GIT repo?
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 02:09:49 +0200

Hi,
> To convert the current CVS repo, why would Onno's repo be involved?
Just a very short note here. Thomas already said it, but I think I should
clearly state it again, as it think there is some confusion about what
essentially the git repo contains:

There is a branch called cvs-upstream in the github master. It reflects the
COMPLETE, imported repository of simulavr_XX_. If new changes are in CVS,
they need to be imported using the available script. As of now, I don't see
any.

The latest changes from this branch are not yet completely *integrated* into
the master branch on github (which is where the latest stuff from Thomas and
me resides), but it is full and complete in the git repo! Nothing is missing
from simulavr_XX_.

The git repo as it is *can be directly used* as a replacement for the CVS one
(except for simulavr, but which is easy to care for and as I said I volunteer
to import the whole history from CVS). It is just that people need to have a
look. Really.

Before a discussion starts about how to set up a server or similar to do the
comparison to SVN, *please* try to check out the git repository on github.com
and get a picture of what is possible and already done with the git
repository, it should make discussion of SVN superfluus:

1. Clone the full history of simulavrxx in git

$ git clone   git://github.com/onnokort/simulavrxx.git

And then, to look at the various branches of development, go to the new
simulavrxx directory and issue:

$ git branch -a

gives you a list of all branches available. Do

$ git checkout -b <a-new-name> <any-branch-from-the-above-list>

to create a local branch where you can look at the particular branch from
above. The <a-new-name> is an arbitrary identification string.

$ git log

gives the available history for the current branch. It is of course easily
possible to checkout any past point, but I try not to replace the manual
here, just to give incentive to start having a look :-)

Moving the whole stuff to savannah is as simple as creating the repository
(presumably through some online application form?) and simply pushing all
interesting branches to it. That's it. A couple of simple commands. No
complicated rsyncs, scps, cps or similar. No configuration files. No file
permissions on the server. SIMPLE.

As soon as I have some more spare time, I'll clone the history of simulavr
(without xx) and make a new branch inside the github repository so that
everything is in place.

How about that?

Have fun,

Onno