Re: [Simulavr-devel] Plan for make a first release of simulavr

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Plan for make a first release of simulavr
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 23:17:29 +0100

As Petr Hluzín wrote:

> My objection is still that the new simulavr is incomplete (the
> existing features would have use for some polishing).

But well, this will always be the case.  In my opinion, the release
is *long* overdue.

> If the polishing
> is delayed, it will break people's stuff in next release.

Then, make this release 1.0, and if the next release really breaks to
many things, name it 2.0.  This still leaves the option to continue
1.x on a branch if there's enough demand.

> Specially, the Python and TCL interface exposes all internals,
> therefore any change may break some script.

How many people are really using that already?  Sometimes, it's just
as easy as mentioning these interfaces as "preliminary".  I think most
of those who really want a released software actually want to use the
normal CLI of the simulator, and the GDB interface on top of that.

One of the F/OSS basic rules is "release frequently".

> A version 2.0.0 would suggest some kind of revolution. The
> implementation language changed from C to C++ [...]

But that would already be covered well enough by the transition
from 0.1 to 1.0.