Re: [Simulavr-devel] Patches for recent avr-libc and Mac OSX build

From: Petr Hluzín
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Patches for recent avr-libc and Mac OSX build
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:17:57 +0200

On 18 April 2012 23:39, Lars Immisch <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The support for new avr-libc looks good (#108026: ).
>
>> I am not able to
>> review patch for building on OS X (#108027), I am not know autotools
>> and I do not have access to an OS X. Any volunteers?
>
> Well, the build was plain broken on OS X. I doubt anybody on this list has
> tried this before I attempted it.
>
> In any case, you might be able to verify that the patch does not break the
> Linux build.

I use hand-written makefile when compiling on Linux, so I cannot very
your patch even on Linux. I tried to use autoconf generated files
before but I ran into some problems.

These are my notes in my diary I wrote in December, if anyone is interested:

It did not find libbfd (it is in /usr/include/ and
/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/), libiberty (I did not bother to check)
and Python.
It complained about SWIG being too old or too new (I did not
understood the message). I think someone reported the problem to this
list or our bug tracker before.
It failed to find libbfd on several machines I have access to, various
distributions.
I did not find how to configure it without the libraries, so had to do
some surgery.
It took me 3 hours and I did not learn anything - except to not trust the tools.

configure.ac - comment out lines AC_PROG_SWIG(1.3.18),
SWIG_ENABLE_CXX, SWIG_MULTI_MODULE_SUPPORT, and lines
AZ_PYTHON_ENABLE, AZ_PYTHON_VERSION_ENSURE, SWIG_PYTHON,
AM_PATH_PYTHON.
m4/AX_AVR_ENVIRON.m4 - comment out BFD and LIBIBERTY stuff
src/avrerror.h - comment out attributes (#define) and their usage near
function prototypes
src/avrdevice.cpp - in AvrDevice::Load() enable the `#ifdef _MSVC' branch.
make - run make; when it fails at link step, copy the command line
containing "../libtool", remove the " -L -l bfd -L -liberty" and run
it
Now I am too exhausted to do more.

--
Petr Hluzin