sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Request for gossip / Some questions

From: Yaron Minsky
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Request for gossip / Some questions
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:14:22 -0500 (EST)

Also take a look at http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de

> *) As far as I understood the mailsync file is just a list of email
> addresses where to send updates? At the moment there is only one entry
> in my mailsync file (address@hidden) but it is not
> listed on the status page
> (http://pgpkeys.telering.at:11371/pks/lookup?op=stats).
>
> *) How are you backing up the key database to minimize the downtime?

There's been some discussion on the list about this.  There are some
problems with doing a back-up while the system is live.  Probably the best
thing is to write a script that:

   - stop the sks daemons with kill (both sks db and sks recon. )
   - wait until both daemons actually stop
   - copy the relevant DB files
   - restart the daemons

You can then do incremental backups by just moving over log files, once
db_archive tells you that the logfiles are free.

> *) Is it possible to dump the key database (sks dump) while the DB
> server is running?

This is not possible at present.  Right now multiple-process access is
verboten.  I'd like to see that fixed, but haven't had the time to do so
and haven't received any patches in the mail....