sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Files of Database from SKS

From: Yaron Minsky
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Files of Database from SKS
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 07:25:03 -0500 (EST)

Olaf Gellert said:
> Hi all,
>
> I have setup an SKS and it works fine, actively syncing via
> email to our Horowitz-Server. I just wondered about the
> structure of the database. These are the files in the
> directory KDB:
>
> -rw-------    1 root     root         8192 Feb 12 20:29 __db.001
> -rw-------    1 root     root     26222592 Feb 12 20:29 __db.002
> -rw-------    1 root     root        98304 Feb 12 20:29 __db.003
> -rw-------    1 root     root        16384 Feb 12 20:29 __db.004
> -rw-------    1 sks      root     3771160576 Feb 18 11:17 key
> -rw-------    1 sks      root     83894272 Feb 18 11:11 keyid
> -rw-------    1 sks      root     10484589 Feb 13 01:25 log.0000000001
> -rw-------    1 root     root     10485711 Feb 14 06:53 log.0000000002
> -rw-------    1 root     root     10485747 Feb 16 21:21 log.0000000003
> -rw-------    1 root     root     10485231 Feb 17 20:22 log.0000000004
> -rw-------    1 root     root      4352009 Feb 18 11:17 log.0000000005
> -rw-------    1 sks      root         8192 Feb 12 20:29 meta
> -rw-------    1 sks      root     76804096 Feb 18 11:17 subkeyid
> -rw-------    1 sks      root     68513792 Feb 18 09:27 time
> -rw-------    1 sks      root         8192 Feb 12 20:29 tqueue
> -rw-------    1 sks      root     406036480 Feb 18 11:17 word
>
> What are the __db.00[1234] files for? They were obviously
> created when the database was made, but since then never
> touched.

These files are created by the Berkeley DB libraries.  They are, I
believe, memory-mapped versions of the other files, and don't take "real"
space on the drive.  If you shutdown the sks processes and run db_recover,
those files will disappear.

> I guess that the file "key" contains the keys itself. I
> would have expected, that the database would be splitted
> into some more (equal sized) files.

Nope, one big DB file, indexed by SKS' full-key hash.  All the other DB
files are indices into that one big file.  The log files are useful for
recovery and doing incremental backups.  Does that cover it?