sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Log Files of the Database

From: Jason
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Log Files of the Database
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:47:31 -0400

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:02:06AM -0700, Joseph Oreste Bruni wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2009, at 6:41 AM, Leonhard Kugler wrote:

> > I have a question about the following files on debian lenny
> > installation of sks:
> >
> > /var/lib/sks/DB/log.0000000066
> >
> > What are these files for ? Are these log files which I could
> > possibly delete or do
> > they keep track of the changes of the DB to do the synchronisation ?
> > (can't read them with a text editor)
> >
> > I ask because I need disc space and looking for stuff thats not
> > necessarily needed.

> Those files are part of BerkeleyDB's transaction processing. You do
> NOT want to delete them using file system commands.

With a complete copy of the ./KDB/ directory and _all_ of the
the log.* files since that copy was made, you can issue a
db_recover that replays the transactions one at a time (seemed
painfully slow last time I tried it) against the saved copies
of the key/keyid/etc. databases to make them current.

For the ./PTree/ database, it is easy enough to totally rebuild
it with "sks pbuild" when the main DBs are good.

However, if you have a keydump made within the last two months,
an "sks fastbuild" and a sync with your peers can usually be
done in several hours, which seemed faster than the db_recover
was progressing.

To remove any undesired logs, run the following in the ./KDB/
and ./PTree/ directories (FreeBSD executable names (BDB 4.6)):

  %db_checkpoint-4.6 -1
  %db_archive-4.6 -dv

You can do this with SKS running.

--
Jason Harris           |  NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
address@hidden _|_ web:  http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/