sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Any hints on KDB/DB_CONFIG configuration?

From: Jeff Johnson
Subject: [Sks-devel] Any hints on KDB/DB_CONFIG configuration?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:17:47 -0500

Thank you all, I seem to have an operationak keyserver syncing merrily
@keys.jbj.org.

Next question:

While reading the sks-devel archives, I noticed at least one mention
of a KDB/DB_CONFIG file used to tune Berkeley DB parameters,
iirc setting the automagic removal of log files equivalent to
        db_archive -dv
after
        db_checkpoint -1

Is anyone willing to share the parameters they are using in KDB/DB_CONFIG?

I'm specifically not seeing this tunable being set:
        set_mp_mmapsize         16777216        <- perhap ~1/4 of available
memory
which (in my experience with RPM) can/will use mmap(2) rather than pread(2)
(usually from __db* cache) which (in some I/O circumstances) can be a rather
large performance win.

Note that my experience is with RPM, not yet KDB, and the access patterns
are different between RPM <-> SKS. But increasing the maximum amount
of mmap(2) permitted led to an order of magnitude faster I/O (for
one common operation rpm --query --all, not generally).

73 de Jeff