sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net

From: David Benfell
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 00:06:03 -0700

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Kiss Gabor (Bitman) wrote:

> > Does anyone know what's up with sks-keyservers.net ? Since yesterday
> > their nameservers doesn't respond and the network seems to be unavailable.
>
> NS records of zone sks-keyservers.net seems to be deleted from
> .net name servers. :-(
> This killed the pool too. SPOF.

Okay, so this is not good.  Has anyone gotten ahold of Kristian
Fiskerstrand <address@hidden> who is listed on the
WHOIS record?

As near as I can tell, synchronization doesn't depend on
sks-keyservers.net so that part of the design of this was gotten
right (yay!).  I haven't paid close attention to how all this works:

1) Was the function of the pool to daisychain keyservers so we all
assumed some of the load and nobody (hopefully) got slammed?  If so,
what can/should be done about a central location where people can
just go to submit keys?  And how did this work for people
integrating keyservers into their GnuPG (and maybe OpenPGP?) setups?

2) If sks-keyservers.net is permanently down and/or Kristian is
unreachable, what can/should be done about a new central location?
I see (from the WHOIS record) that the sks-keyservers.net domain is
paid for through the end of the year.

3) Are there any other questions I should be posing?

--
David Benfell <address@hidden>
http://www.parts-unknown.org/