sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Kristian is alvie :-)

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Kristian is alvie :-)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:22:37 -0400

On 03/18/2011 02:38 PM, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 01:45:52PM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> Kristian, i would happily offer zimmermann.mayfirst.org as a redundant
>> authoritative DNS server -- we'd just need to coordinate how the pool
>> gets published.
>
> I suggest DNS slaves would be the simplest way to achieve this. I'm happy
> to offer a London slave. If the master server sends notifies and the slaves
> do a XFER, pool updates can be run with almost no delay for clients.

the DNS slave setup would suffer from a different (and slightly
less-bad, though more difficult to notice when it happens) SPOF, though,
in the form of a primary that fails to run updates on the secondaries.

It seems more failsafe to me If all the nameservers are publishing their
independent view of the keyserver network, but i agree it might be more
expedient to set up XFER, at least initially.

        --dkg