sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] pool.sks-keyservers.net in seahorse

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] pool.sks-keyservers.net in seahorse
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 14:11:50 -0400

On 2011-03-29 at 13:59 -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2011, at 1:53 PM, Phil Pennock wrote:
>
> > On 2011-03-29 at 12:14 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> >> I don't use seahorse regularly, but i recently convinced them to replace
> >> (old, broken, non-syncing) pgp.mit.edu with a pointer to
> >> pool.sks-keyservers.net:
> >
> > Uhm, the pgp.mit.edu which is running SKS and syncing with 10 peers?
>
> I recall pgp.mit.edu went to SKS, but I just looked and it's back on pksd at
> the moment.

So what matters is what runs on the 11371 port.  Thus:
  http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=stats

So any bugs are bugs in SKS.  Unsurprisingly, one of the planet's most
popular PGP keyservers stresses the software more than most of us.

Note: I'm not protesting moves to migrate software to use pools, that's
sane.  I read Dan's post as referring to the old non-subkey-aware setup,
which was stale.  On re-reading, he could just have been referring to
the recent troubles and I misinterpreted.

-Phil