sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Unde(r)served HKPS [was: Underserved areas?]

From: Andrew Gallagher
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Unde(r)served HKPS [was: Underserved areas?]
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 19:06:55 +0000

On 11/01/18 17:16, Alain Wolf wrote:
> I don't know how Kristians SKS CA came to existence. Maybe it was about
> avoiding additional costs for the volunteers, maybe about trust (or lack
> of it) in the commercial CAs. Maybe just the DNS-pool-problem. Maybe
> something else entirely.

Distributing trust is *hard*. In order to have multiple machines serving
the same domain name, you either need to share a common certificate or
have a friendly intermediate CA that is willing to generate multiple
certs for the same domain name. Getting a browser-recognised
intermediate CA is expensive and, since we don't need browser
compatibility, irrelevant.

> But a lot of things have changed in this area in the last couple of
> years. Maybe we could re-think this. Maybe there is a way, for an
> ACME-challenge like DNS-01 or TLS-SNI to somehow work if a server is a
> legitimate pool member?

Define "legitimate". ;-)

In principle, there's no reason why we couldn't have an ACME challenge
server somewhere that automatically signs the endpoint certs with the CA
cert.

In practice though, we'd need some way of preventing bad actors from
obtaining certs. Any pool member with a legit cert can MITM a target to
sniff their HKPS traffic. What's to stop $BOGEYMAN from joining the pool
(it's an automatic process after all), obtaining an HKPS cert and then
MITMing $VICTIM?

So we'd need manually verified user accounts. But that's no easier than
submitting a CSR. So it's a bit pointless.

> Maybe even just distribute a private key and cert[2]?

Distribute how? Once you start distributing private keys, you run the
risk of leakage. Your distribution mechanism becomes the weak link.

I should talk, of course. I never got around to applying for an HKPS
cert... :-)

--
Andrew Gallagher