Re: [Social-discuss] Re: Federation

From: Humaneasy Consulting
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Re: Federation
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:56:40 +0100

I'm not an english native speaker so if something sounded harsh just
disregard. Is not intended and just due to lack of better english knowledge
:D ;)

More inline below.

2009/8/25 Matt Lee <address@hidden>

> Humaneasy Consulting wrote:
>
> > In principle there is nothing against a new tool licensed under F/LOSS :)
> > But how many less freedom and/or liberty will you have on using Drupal?
> > If there is a technical issue and/or legal framework issue that I'm not
> > aware of I would like to know. Truly!
>
> Well, Drupal is not AGPL.

Right. This is a *philosophical*** question.

Social is AGPL.

Ok! But you can always release your independent modules with any
GPL-Compatible license (http://smsh.me/7j7s), right?
CiviCRM uses AGPL too (http://smsh.me/7j7t) to interface with both Drupal
and Joomla, two CMS released under GNU GPLv2 or later.

Most of your proposals already exist in Drupal as seperated modules -- even
the possibility of using Smarty as the template engine (http://smsh.me/7j7u)
-- and I do think you could concentrate on what your project could offer
that is not yet covered and, at the same time, benefit from the huge Drupal
community and its real testing on big impact sites like SonyBMG's MyPlay.com
or the MTV.co.uk.

Three samples of this "distribution" concept:

   1. http://www.prosepoint.org/
   2. http://openatrium.com/
   3. http://www.ideatorrent.org/

I understand that you feel more confortable in pushing something faster
using your own LibreFM-based framework and not having to have the burden of
step a new learning curve to be savvy in another distinct framework... and
this is, for me, a *technical* question.

1,
Lopo